The Biotechnology and Biological Sciences Research Council (BBSRC ) has awarded a Collaborative Training Partnership (CTP) grant to a consortium led by Berry Gardens Growers Ltd and NIAB EMR. The Collaborative Training Partnership for Fruit Crop Research (www.ctp-fcr.org) focuses on industry-led research and development on important fruit crops in the UK. The studentship is funded for four years with a requirement to complete industry placement(s) of a minimum total of three months.
We are offering exciting fully-funded PhD opportunities on the following topics:
- Using climatic and microbiome data to predict apple fruit quality (Ref: CTP_FCR_2021_1)
- Investigating abiotic and biotic factors affecting apple canker (Neonectria ditissima) symptom development (Ref: CTP_FCR_2021_2)
- Understanding the dynamics of ascospore production to optimise apple scab management (Ref: CTP_FCR_2021_3)
- Improving fruit quality and establishing molecular breeding resources in raspberry (Ref: CTP_FCR-2021_4)
- What factors control variation in floral initiation in strawberry? (Ref: CTP_FCR-2021_5)
- Manipulation of stomatal density to improve CO2 uptake in Strawberry and Blueberry (Ref: CTP_FCR-2021_6)
- Enhanced gene shuffling in apples and strawberries (Ref: CTP_FCR-2021_7)
- Dissecting the control of continuous cropping in strawberry (Ref: CTP_FCR-2021_8)
- The need for speed – developing new methods for reducing the juvenility period in trees (Ref: CTP_FCR-2021_9)
- Overcoming the limitations to yield in strawberry (Ref: CTP_FCR-2021_10)
- High-throughput robotic phenotyping of fruit traits for automatic strawberry harvesting (Ref: CTP_FCR-2021_11)
- Attacking the clones: understanding resistance of aphid pests to biological control (Ref: CTP_FCR-2021_12)
- Optimising photosynthetic performance in strawberries using blue light (Ref: CTP_FCR-2021_13)
Anyone interested should fill the online application via the link provided at the end of each project description page before the deadline of 8th February 2021 (except the project CTP_FCR-2021_13 for which the deadline is 15th March 2021). If need further help or clarification, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.